Saturday, January 28, 2006

Valley Medical Center

On Thursday I went to Valley Medical Center where Dr. Shem
was telling everybody about new SCI therapies.  They have
a bunch of studies they are always doing and they're always
looking for volunteers, it was very interesting.
I was talking to one of the guys after and he is
trying to get me to try scuba diving, they do it almost
every Friday in Los Gatos.  I'm going to go and watch
and who knows?  I'm afraid of water but I would like to
get over it because they have a bunch of events that they
do almost monthly like whale watching or just cruising
around the bay.

Every time I go to one of these I get really inspired
and excited, I keep saying to myself that I'm going to start
going back to the support groups and the one-on-one peer
meetings, every Wednesday we go in groups of two room to room
at Valley Medical and talk to the patient's and families
and the answer any questions they have and maybe even
plan something to get them away from the hospital.  I love
sharing my home so that people can see it is possible
to live alone and to have a great life after a traumatic
injury.

Yesterday my mom and I met my Aunt Cathy and Ellen
to see the movie Brokeback Mountain, it was a really good movie.
After that we were going to go get something to eat but it was
getting late.  We're going to try to do that maybe once a month.
I love to go to the movies and out to eat but if I go by myself
I have to bring my attendant and pay her hourly, hey for the ticket
and a meal or popcorn and soda, it can get pretty expensive... plus,
she doesn't even put out ha-ha, just kidding.

No comments: