Sunday, July 6, 2008

No-show caregiver...

At the end of the cul-de-sac where I live you can turn right to go downtown or to the boardwalk, if you turn left there is a VERY steep hill that I have not been able to brave yet but I found out yesterday that if I go all the way to the end of the lagoon and then up the hill, not nearly as steep a hill, it takes me to the top.  It takes a lot longer that the view is very beautiful.  On the way up the hill there are some tennis courts, a playground for children and the dog park.  It is so great to be able to just leave your house and explore.  My only fear is that something's going to happen to my chair and I will be stuck.  Now that they passed a law against using cell phones in the car there are a lot of hands free Bluetooth speakers that you hang on your viser so I ordered one to see if I could find a place to put it on my chair.

Yesterday was a great day.  I took Brodie over to get her toenails cut and went over to my uncles where my cousin was having a barbecue.  There were some people there that I already knew and some of his friends I met a new ones.  My cousin barbecued flank steaks and corn on the cob and of course they have lots of fruit, vegetable, salads and snacks.  My mom brought over some more peach cobbler and of course everybody loved it.

I must be terribly hard on microphones because mine keep shorting out, I hope that it not just me.  The microphone for the voice activation software clips on to my shirt and since I have no hand function I have to yank it off and sometimes when I'm in my chair I drive away forgetting that it is clipped on my shirt and yank it out.  Right now I have the cord wrapped around my keyboard, this is the only way it will work.

My morning caregiver did not show up this morning nor did she call.  Her father was here, he does the yard work and owns a cleaning company that cleans here, and noticed that her car wasn't here so they started to call her and when she didn't answer he called her cousin, who also works here during the week, to fill in for her.  I felt bad because she works AND has three kids so I just told her to stay home and I decided to stay in bed for the day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really seem to have an active, interesting life there..you also seem to go out of your way to make it that way.
The no caregiver situation is stressful. Perhaps you could get a back up to the back up ;-0, thru an agency for in the future situations? ~Mary

Anonymous said...

so glad you found a way to get to the top of the hill so you can enjoy an outing out; I bet its fun to explore new things in your new living arrangements!

I just love summer barbecues; great place for friends, fellowship and of course food!

sorry about the caregiver; that has to be stressful wondering if they are going to show up or not; I agree with Mary's comment; wonder if you need a backup plan through an agency

betty

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you had a good time at the barbecue. I love picnic foods. It all sounded so good. I am sorry about your caregiver. Does she do this alot? I hope that she is ok. ...hugs, Christine