Sunday, July 23, 2006

CT English 30th reunion

I was so excited to go to the 30th CT English eighth-grade reunion with my brother David, we have been planning it for several months. We left here at noon and it was already 102 degrees, I had a kind of feeling that we probably shouldn't go because it was so hot but this is part of the reason David came to visit and we were both looking forward to it. We decided if it got too hot to take a drive and cool down or just go home. We were there about an hour and got to see a bunch of people that we went to school with and it was so cool to see them. I decided that I needed to get out of the heat so we went for a drive around our old stomping grounds. I wasn't really cooling down so we decided to stop at La Tienda which was now Summit Center to take off my socks when David noticed we had a flat tire so he proceeded to change the tire in the 106 degree heat, the spare tire was also a little flat but we thought we could make it. David went in the store to get some fix a flat, later he found a can and an air compressor in the back of the van. If he would have found it sooner he would not have to have changed the tire, I completely forgot it was in there. After all of that we decided that it would be best to just go home because it was just too hot. All of a sudden the van just quit moving while we were driving down Summit Road so we had to stop and backup to the nearest street. We decided to try to go back to the school and get some help but the van would not go any further so we had to pull over on the side of the road. At this point we didn't even have the air-conditioned so we decided it was time to call 911 to come and get me out of the heat. I have heard of this happening to people but until now it has never happened to me. This was my first emergency room visit since my injury ten years ago. First a police officer showed up, took my pulse and decided calling an ambulance was a good idea. Next the fire truck showed up and they started packing ice around me, they said under your arm pits is the best place to put the ice to cool you down, I will have to remember that. I was getting a little panicked and everybody was so nice and caring and genuinely concerned. I took a while for the ambulance to get there because it was unusually hot and a lot of people were overheating. When the ambulance got there they loaded me from my chair to the gurney and into the ambulance for my ride down the hill. By the time I got to the hospital I was feeling much better and cooled down. As soon as they loaded me into the ambulance they turn to David and asked what he needed, I thought that was very sweet, David is always taking care of everyone else and he is the reason I did not panic. It turned out to be a vapor lock or something like that because about an hour after the ambulance took me away the van ran okay, I think we just had the air conditioner on for too long. By the time I got to the hospital I felt much better and was cooled down and just had to wait for somebody to come and get me and take me home. Today is really hot so I decided to stay inside where it's nice and cool.

No comments: