Sunday, October 7, 2007

Service animal

Stanley, Robert and Corinne came down on Friday evening and we ordered pizza, it had been awhile since I had it and boy did it tastes good.

On Saturday we got out of here early trying to beat the traffic to the Gilroy outlets, always a fun place to go.  We hit just about every store and then had lunch at Applebee's, this was only my second time eating there and it was pretty good.

The only bummer of the day was when I was trying to go into the Sony store.  The security guard that was there at the door denied my access into the store because I had Brodie with me.  I told him that she is a service animal, she has her service animal bandana on and she could go pretty much where anybody else can go but he said no matter what she still a dog and cannot come in the building so I asked him if he could call the manager.  I don't like to cause problems but I feel that everybody should know what the ADA laws are so that the next person going into that building with a service animal will not have any problems.  Stanley saw that something was happening and came to the front door and said that he was done and we should just leave.  After leaving I ran into Rich who is the co-facilitator for the Monday support groups at Valley Medical, he was furious and offered to go back with me to explain the laws to the security guard but by the time we got back neither the security guard that denied my access nor the employee that was calling the manager were there.  We did talk to the security guard that was there and he said that the guy was new and just didn't know the laws but the manager had told them that service animals were allowed in the store.  After I got home I wrote a letter to Sony and I sent them the laws for service animal.  I also printed a few extra copies to keep in my backpack in case this happens again.

No comments: