Saturday, March 1, 2008

Turned away from a restaurant because of my service dog...

Gino called Thursday night, Gino and Jeff work for Charlie and they can pretty much do ANYTHING, he came over Friday afternoon fixed my wall outlet that blew up Wednesday.

Stanley, Robert and David came down last night to visit and help us start packing up some of our stuff.  While they were here I had them take me over to Lamps Plus to pick out some ceiling fans for the new house.  At the other end of the parking lot was a restaurant that I heard was pretty good cold King Buffet.  When we walked into the restaurant I saw that old familiar look that I have seen many times before and the man standing there said "you need to take your dog outside and put it in the car" a rush of frustration and humiliation always comes over me and my first instinct is to just turn around and leave but I want to make a stand so that the next person that comes in with a service animal will be accepted and not humiliated.  I told him that it was a service dog and that she could go anywhere and she said that his restaurant was too full and we would have to take her out and put her in the car.  I wanted to make them call a police officer to explain the laws to them but I could tell my mom was service and wanted to go at so we just went across the street and ate at Chiles.  This has happened to me about a handful of times and I just don't know what to say or do but I want to do the right thing that I would like them to learn the laws because if you manage a restaurant I think it's only fair.  One time I went to King Egg Roll and the lady told me that I would have to take my dog outside and he did not allow them in the building, I told her that she was a service dog and that she could go anywhere and then she just tried to rush me out of the restaurant.  It's bad enough that everybody stares at me because I'm in the chair and then people have to put me on stage and gives me a bad time about my service dog.  One time while I was at the Gilroy Outlets the same thing happen to me in the Sony store, the security guard told me that I could not bring my dog in the store and my brother and his family were finished looking so I just turned around and left.  I did ask him to see the manager but we were leaving so he never called the manager out.  As we were cruising through the other stores I ran into Rich, the cofacilitator of the support groups at Valley Medical and she was furious.  He asked me to go back with him and I wanted to so that I could see what he said and the next time I would know but by the time we made it back the security guards had changed shifts and when we explained what happened the new security guard apologized and said that it is definitely their policy to let service animals into the store and that he would definitely bring it up at the next meeting.  It made me feel great and I had a good day.  It's amazing how something like that can just ruin your whole day.

No comments: