Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cleaning out the old place...

I woke up yesterday morning and looked out the window and there was my van, all fixed and ready to go.  The lift worked and it felt great... I couldn't wait to try it out.


I remember several years ago walking across a really long bridge over a lagoon and I remember that wasn't very far from here so brodie and I set out in search of it and we found it.  The last time I went I remember when we got to the part that was over the water Bridge was held up by pontoons and I started getting really nervous thinking that the wheelchair might be to heavy I panicked, made the chair go as fast as possible and thanked God when I reached the other end.  Since than I have talked to a couple of people in chairs that have rode across it several times... if they can do it so can I.  It was so beautiful and peaceful and I did really well until I got to the part where the water was, I just could not make myself do it.  We turned back and went the other way until we came to what looked like a stage with a bunch of benches around the end of bunch of podiums that explains the wildlife around.  We found a trail and followed it until we came to another bridge with water, I will work on my fear of water another day.  It was a beautiful walk, something I think we are going to do every morning.  It is only two blocks away.

The next day I decided to try and find Trader Joe's by myself, I looked up the map and MapQuest.  The sidewalks in Santa Cruz are not the best sidewalks for a wheelchair and I was driving with my left hand, a scary combination but I have to learn to do it.  I got about half way there and realize that high school must just let out so I decided to turn around and try it again another day when it wasn't so hot and I had someone with me.  On my way back home I saw my mom and my aunt pull over and my aunt jumped out with a hat.  My uncle saw me drive by their house in 98° weather without a hat and sent them out looking from me, I never even thought about wearing a hat.  On the way back I walked by a fence and the dog came jumping out and I guess brodie was trying to protect me went for the dog and bounced off of my chair and sent me into a tree.  My leg rest came off with my foot still strapped to it.  Luckily my aunt decided to walk backwith me so she was there to pick up the pieces.  For the last couple of months my knee has been swollen and I'm waiting to establish a doctor here so I can see what's wrong, of course that was the same knee that got twisted.  I came back home and we looked at it and it looks fine.

Yesterday my mom had a doctor's appointment in San Jose so her, my aunt and I went to see if we could sort through some more stuff the old place.  Jerry came over to help and we got a lot done, we're hoping to finish the rest of it up today.  We have three piles... garbage, donation and what we're bringing over here, luckily the donation pile is bigger than the other two because we're running out of room over here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure with time you will get over your fear of the water and cross to the other side of the bridge; I have confidence in you that you will; I would have been the same way; but inch by inch I know you can do it; when you do it, do let us know so we can congratulate you

school should be ending soon so I'm sure your route to Trader Joe's will become less crowded in the days ahead; I like that store; all sort of good goodies to look for there

always good that the pile of things to go is bigger than other piles; when we moved from Montana to So. Calif. I got rid of 2/3 of our stuff as we were going from a 3300 square foot house to a 1500 and I didn't want to put things into storage; didn't miss anything I gave away either

enjoy the day

betty

Anonymous said...

I do believe caution can at times lead to complete inaction.  I don't see that as being the case with you though.  I think you stretch yourself to do a lot of things.  It the water makes you uncomfortable, perhaps taking a friend with you a few times will take your mind off of it, then later you may do it on your own.  If not, I still think you are going after a lot of experiences. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've been cleaning out too.  So much 'stuff'.  So little room.  

Anonymous said...

my first  time reading  your journal     many  congrats  on  being  editors  choice.  you  are an inspiration.    and  write a damn good journal.   take care  from a new fan  lol    all the way  from  england          mort   x

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being a Guest Editor pick :o)