Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Dreaming

I remember at one of the support groups at Valley Medical the subject came up about dreaming and being in a wheelchair.  I said that when I dream about myself I am never in a wheelchair but if I am walking I have a really strong feeling that I shouldn't be.  One of the peers said that it was because I did not yet except my injury.  I was talking to my brother David this morning and the same subject came up and he said that it made more sense that since I wasn't in a wheelchair when I dream it makes more sense that I do except my situation.  I have never thought of myself as denying my situation.  We were talking about the reaction people have when they see me or anybody else in a wheelchair.  This is the only way that my immediate family and friends have known me for a little over 13 years, my youngest niece and nephew have never seen me walking and they don't even seem to notice.

One time while I was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium with Stanley and the kids I ran into a friend that I met at the support group who works there. we talked for a while and then my niece and nephew came running up to join us.  He mentioned that he was really surprised that they came up and talk to him so openly earlier asking questions, he didn't know they were with me.

It has always been the rule people are not allowed to touch a service animal or they need to ask first.  I agree with the ask first part but I really don't see any reason to tell people they cannot pet Brodie, feels he is a very good icebreaker.  I think some people are a little afraid of approaching somebody in a wheelchair and when you start yelling at them is going to detour them next time.  Brodie loves people in and she is so irresistible everybody wants to meet her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been lurking about here reading for a couple of weeks now ... sent over by another 'lurker' here on AOL Journals.  That's not a bad thing ... but it is how some of we folks that journal get to 'know' others before we comment.  

I just wanted you to know I am here, reading and I love that you are so open and share so much of your life with us.  ~Kathy~

You can find me @  

Anonymous said...

she's adorable!!!

I know I try to be real sensitive about not wanting to approach a working dog, but I do at least try to smile at the person with the dog (provided they aren't blind) as a friendly gesture; I think you handle your situations just fine

enjoy the day

betty

Anonymous said...

I've always approached the owner of a working dog & asked for permission for petting, some are fine, others very forceful in their refusal. I've received conflicting info on this.  Some tell me "It is not allowed" others say if is fine they just like to be asked.  Brodie is very precious looking. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

Brodie would be very easy to fall in love with! i always thought one was not supposed to approach a service dog at all. thank you for the advice to simply ask. so many times i have wanted to, and backed away thinking it was not ok to even ask. now i will.....and between you and Mary, i know to expect some "no way!"s...and expect some "sure, go ahead and pet her"s :)
~Cathy