Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My new chair has arrived...

They finally delivered my chair today.  Things sure have changed a lot since the last time I got a new wheelchair.  I remember having an appointment at Valley Medical Center with the representative, whatever wheelchair company, and an OT to make sure everything would fit right.  When the chair was approved by Medicare and built we met back over at Valley Medical Center to make sure everything fit right.  This time they just called to make sure I was home and dropped it off with some instruction.  It's a little scary after driving my old standby for five years but hopefully it will be exciting.  I had them switch the dragging mechanism from the right side to the left side and now I'm wondering why.  I am right-handed and I'm hoping that it will help to make my left arm stronger.  I guess if it doesn't work out I can always have it switched back.  They also have this little TV like screen that sticks up from the armrest that looks like it can be annoying but we will see.  I was told that it will be able to run a lot of the functions that I use on Multimedia Max, that will definitely be great.

Even ordering it was a real pain.  After going through everything I needed and wanted it took three months to get approved.  After it was supposedly approved a got I call from the approval department saying that I just got a chair in February of 2008, I think they finally realized that it was the same chair because they've never returned by call when I called back to explain.  Then they called me and told me that I just got a new chair in 2002 and it must be still running because I am getting around so why did I need a new one... are you kidding me?  I told them that it breaks down at least twice a month and doesn't hold a charge anymore.  Medicare is supposed to pay for a new chair every five years but they really do that.

Angie came by yesterday to take inventory of my outdoor plants to see if there's any that they could use in landscaping the new place.  They are all in pots so they don't necessarily have to be planted and they know that the choices that Charlie made for the new place look great.  Angie is due next month but she looks really great.  Just about everybody else that I have seen that pregnant looks tired and is sore and miserable, she was very upbeat and said that she felt great.  She is going to be a great mother.

It's funny how a seemingly simple task just isn't... I needed a new mailbox and some numbers for the front of the new house.  After going to the Expo, two Home Depot's and Orchard Supply, I found house numbers I liked at Orchard.  I finally ordered one online.  I went online to all these places and they had a lot of really good choices but when I went there the selection was not so great.

We had planned on going to Santa Cruz last Sunday but on Saturday evening my mom got really sick.  She didn't know that we had planned a surprise birthday party for her.  Apparently everybody at a birthday party had a really good time.  The realtor wants to have an open house here on Sunday so we are going to go see the progress, everything should be done so I can get pictures of the final project, it has been a long, frustrating arrival but at least for me once you look at it TOTALLY worth it.  I am so excited to go see it.

Stanley and Corinne are going to come down this weekend for a visit.  I'm not sure how long they are going to say that it will really be great to see them.

No comments: