Thursday, May 1, 2008

The new and the old...

Yesterday I went to get a brace for my left wrist hoping it will help when they start driving my chair with my left hand.  For some reason the last week or so my left arm has been hurting really bad.  You know the feeling when you hit your funny bone, that's what it feels like except it doesn't go away... extremely not funny.

When I went to get back in the van as I lifted up the ramp the whole thing went sideways and got wedged in the doorway.  It looked like one of the bolts holding the ramp to the van came out, it was having a hard time closing for the last couple of weeks and I guess I knew it was going to happen.  My caregiver was able to straighten out the ramp and although I thought I was going to have to skip grocery shopping my caregiver said that now that she knew how to close it we should just go ahead and get everything done so after we went grocery shopping I went to Orchard Supply Hardware and bought every bolt and nut that looked like it might fit and hopefully I will be able to get one of my neighbors to fix it for me so I can go back to Orchard and get some duct tape so I can cover up the whole I put in the armrest of my van with the driving mechanism of my chair.

The lockdown in my van has not been working for a long time.  I thought maybe it was because the insight was filled with dog hair and it still might be but I have one of my caregiver's clean it out with a stick and some dust off and it still doesn't work.  I need to go down and have a bolt put on my new chair so I guess it's time to get it fixed.  I'm still waiting for the guy to call a bout the seat belt, chest strap and owners manual that he forgot to bring when he brought me the chair.

Brodie is really starting to not listen to me at all.  When I go to get in the van she starts sniffing the grass and won't stop when I tell her to.  I tried lifting up the ramp and driving away opening two would realize if she's not in the van it will leave without her but she just follows the van down the street.  She does the same thing when I take her off the leash to get into the van after I go shopping.  She will run over to any island with grass or dirt and stop sniffing.  I tried going over and pushing her but she just keeps sniffing, it's very frustrating.  I asked my caregiver to go over and grab her but she said "I don't want to upset her"... unbelievable.  After I asked her again she walked over and grabbed Brodies bandanna, which is held on by a thin strip of Velcro.  Sometimes I get so frustrated with the caregiver I just don't know what to say any more.  I think from now on I'm just going to keep her strapped to my chair whenever we are in public and hope that I can get into the van with her attached.  It's either that or break out to e-caller.

No comments: